Remembering Fallen Heroes on Memorial Day 2022
Memorial Day 2022 may be filled with deals and discounts, barbecues, and parties, but at its heart, it’s still a somber occasion. While we eat some great food and enjoy hundreds of dollars worth of discounts from the biggest stores around, let’s take a moment to reflect and remember this May 30th on Memorial Day.
As the name implies, Memorial Day is a holiday that serves as a remembrance of someone. But of whom? you may ask. Memorial Day comes at the end of Military Appreciation Month, and that means that this is a time we spend honoring the sacrifice of our departed military members.
Military service takes a lot out of the people who serve. They happily sacrifice a ton of personal freedom and their own safety in order to serve and protect this great nation. Sometimes, they make the ultimate sacrifice to keep their fellow service members and compatriots safe and out of harm’s way. This is a day for those people who showed the ultimate courage that most of us couldn’t even begin to imagine.
Memorial Day Quotes
One of the best Memorial Day thank-yous is to share meaningful Memorial Day quotes. We have a sampling of good options you can discuss during Memorial Day 2022 with your friends and family members.
- “This is the day we pay homage to all those who didn’t come home. This is not Veterans Day, it’s not a celebration, it is a day of solemn contemplation over the cost of freedom.” – Tamara Bolton
- “I have long believed that sacrifice is the pinnacle of patriotism.” – Bob Riley
- “Without memory, there is no culture. Without memory, there would be no civilization, no society, no future.” – Elie Wiesel
- “The legacy of heroes — the memory of a great name, and the inheritance of a great example.” – Benjamin Disraeli
- “No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation.” – General Douglas MacArthur
- “Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.” – Sun Tzu
- “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
- “Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it. It flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.” – Unknown
Whether you’re celebrating Memorial Day 2022 or using it as a day for solemn remembrance, there’s no questioning the importance of this holiday to our nation’s strength and its contribution to the beautifully complex tapestry of the United States of America.